Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Family Update

Sooo, I'm a slacker who couldn't be bothered writing anything for ages. So here's what's been happening in the family of late...

We're expecting bub #2! Due date is presently 11 May next year, but I think it may a few days earlier than that. We had a nuchal translucency scan last week, and everything was great. So comforting to go to that twelve week scan and see a heart beat. We'd ended up having a dating scan around six weeks, due to some crazy cycles, but we couldn't see much back then. My belly has already grown quite noticeably, so I was also fairly sure things were still growing quite well. Disturbing as it is to have an obvious baby belly at nine or ten weeks, let alone fourteen.

I haven't particularly enjoyed this pregnancy much thus far, but things are turning around now. My morning sickness was much milder this time around than with Alex. I only really vomited twice from morning sickness, as opposed to chucking up in the basin in the bathroom at work every morning. I never seemed to make it to the toilet... I did pick up a horrid cold about a fortnight ago which has made me start vomiting daily again, but it's not so much morning sickness as an abundance of phlegm that motivates my presently sensitive gag reflex.

However, the constant nausea and tiredness really took it out of me. The tiredness is still getting me, but that's probably due to having an almost-two-year-old more than anything. I started feeling sick around the four week mark, and it was demoralising to have my dating scan and be given a date four days later than I'd predicted. That meant four extra days of feeling like that. I almost cried at the time. Morning sickness got me down to the point where I had no joy or excitement about being pregnant. I was terrified half the time of something going wrong, physically drained and just miserable. I wouldn't go so far as to say prenatal depression, but it wouldn't have been far off it. I knew I'd feel chirpier once I had a bit of energy back, and glad to say, since last Thursday, I'm almost back to me. Much more excited about having another baby now.

Not that I have changed my mind as to this being our last baby. Boy or girl, I'm not doing this again.



We see our midwife for the first time tomorrow, so looking forward to that. We liked our midwife with Alex, but she doesn't do the group midwife program anymore, so we have someone new. We're not too fussed, as long as she isn't too tree-hugging, as some of the other group midwives tended to be.

I was actually keen to use an OB and go to the private hospital this time around, mostly due to my Dad's povvo experience at the John Hunter, where they made him wait three days for an operation, without any food or water in that time. His veins were collapsing by the time they were trying to put a drip in so he didn't, you know, die and stuff. The doctors were basically begging us to go to the media so they could draw attention to the administration problems there, but I guess Mum & Dad couldn't be bothered after he finally got his operations. (He needed two in the end because they left him for so long.)

Anyway, John wasn't too keen on the private system being that we had such a positive experience with Alex, so we're going through the birthing centre, using the group midwifery system, where we see the same midwife the whole way through, and she will (theoretically) be there to deliver the baby. We still get a private room at the John Hunter anyway, so not too fussed on the accommodation. Alex's birth was so easy, drug-free and positive, I can only hope it's the same this time.

Besides pregnancy stuff, things have been pretty busy around here. John has been absolutely flat-out with his work the last few months, after being promoted to business analyst, but still doing financial accountant role at the same time until they find someone to replace him. He literally works almost every day, including weekends, until 11pm. The past few months have been tough on both of us, with my morning sickness and his excessive work hours, we haven't had time to be there much for each other. We got through it though. I'm at least feeling human enough to clean the house and cook dinner now, so he doesn't have to come home after a hard day to a pig-sty, a miserable wife and a hungry son.

Alex is growing up fast. Almost two. We started toilet-training today. I guess. I have no idea what I'm doing. I don't know if Alex is quite ready yet, so I'm not being too hardcore about it. He wore undies for the first time today anyway. He sat on the toilet a few times, but he didn't quite hit the toilet with the wee. He did hit the floor once, the high chair twice, and his nappy during his nap. But I guess we have to start somewhere. Maybe I should google how on earth I'm supposed to toilet train a boy.

His speech hasn't progressed a huge amount, but John and I noticed the other week that some words he has trouble with, he actually inhales rather than exhales, so we're going to make an appointment to see our lovely nurse at our GP and possibly get a referral to a speech pathologist. He understands almost everything you say now. When he feels like it. When Mummy says "sit on your bottom" when he's running along the lounge, sometimes, he doesn't quite get that one... Much more fun to run to the corner giggling at Mummy.

He's a good boy though. Very few hissy fits. His major one is when we go to Westfield, and he finds his way into Kid Central where they have a Thomas the Tank Engine set up, which he'll happily play with for hours if we let him, but as soon as we try to leave to store, he chucks a gigantic tanty. Kind of embarrassing. Luckily, if you then head up the top floor of Borders with the kids books, it distracts him enough to calm him down.

Through some kind of osmosis, he now loves anything Thomas, even though he only saw the show for the first time last week. He sleeps with a Thomas shape sorter until I take it out after he falls asleep, but then when he wakes up in the morning, he cries out for it again. He was obsessed with a pink car for a week or two, but John's glad he's moved on now.

So I'm sure other stuff has been happening, but my burst of energy has depleted and it's time to sleep!




No comments:

Post a Comment