Friday, July 22, 2011

Ergo Heart2Heart Infant Insert - A Review

About eighteen months ago, I reviewed my beloved Ergo. I didn't start using my Ergo, however, until Alex was about six months old, so I hadn't a use for the Infant Insert. So, with Charlie, I was glad to have an excuse to try it out. Which also gives me an excuse to write another review. I'll also add in my "Ergo After Two Years of Use" review at the end.

The Heart2Heart Infant Insert has me in two minds. I love my Ergo, and I know I need the Insert to be able to carry my infant in it, but besides that, it doesn't inspire a great level of enthusiasm or excitement. It serves it purpose, which is great. It does have a few downfalls, however.

It would be absolutely useless to use in the Australian Summer. It's the middle of a relatively chilly Winter at present, and I still find Charlie getting quite warm after being in the Insert. It is wonderful that he is nice and rugged up from the elements in the Insert, but there is no way I could use it in any warmer weather. (It's presently around 15 degrees Celsius on average). I was actually given the Insert by a friend for a baby shower present. She had originally bought it for herself for her baby born in August, but tried it once and found it terribly hot. So she popped it back in the package for my Winter baby.

I found the Insert a little challenging to use to begin with. Even with the instructions, I couldn't figure out where my little one's legs and feet were supposed to go. After the second or third try, though, it became second nature. However, I am also very comfortable and practised in putting on and taking off my Ergo, so I would imagine it might take a little longer to get used to for Ergo virgins.

I love how soft and cosy the material is, and Charlie looks super cute all wrapped up in it. I don't presently have a photo of the Infant Insert in use, but will add one as soon as Husband provides one.

Another issue is that you really need a surface to lay your baby on to be able to put bub into the Insert, and then the Ergo. Usually I have the car's front passenger seat, but today, after feeding Charlie at the shopping centre, I had to look around for something to put Charlie down on before I could get going. Not really a big deal, but just a little extra bit of inconvenient. The Ergo carrier by itself is much more convenient to get baby in and out of.

I also have to compare the Infant Insert with my other alternative baby carrier - the Sleepy Wrap. My sister lent me hers, and I just cannot use it. Perhaps, like the Ergo, it takes practice, but Charlie seems to hate it also. He seems much more comfortable in the Infant Insert. The Sleepy Wrap (or other jersey material alternatives) is impossible to wear in public, unless I happen to have put it on before I left the house. Otherwise, one has jersey material all over the dirty carpark while you attempt to tie it around you, with toddler and infant both screaming. Not so fun. I would generally use the Sleepy Wrap at home, and the Ergo out and about.

So on to my "Two Years Later" update of the Ergo. I still love it. My enthusiasm has spread among friends and family, and several have bought their own. My sister borrowed mine while I was pregnant, and was loathe to return it. I had to metaphorically bitch-fight her for it, and she went to buy her own straight after.

As predicted, my maroon colour has faded a tad, but the actual carrier is in fantastic shape, especially considering the work-out it's had. I carried 18 month old Alex around New Zealand in it. My other sister carried her (admittedly small) four year old in it. I carried 16kg thirty month old Alex in it the other day, which by the way, was a fantastic bum exercise.




One thing I've found is that the Ergo is fantastic for getting kids to sleep. Even carrying Alex in it last week, he seemed to be struggling to keep his eyes open after a while, even though it was ten in the morning. Pre-pregnancy, it was a sure-fire way to get Alex to sleep, particularly while travelling. My four year old nephew couldn't even resist the urge to nap when he was on my sister's back.

One unfortunate aspect of the Ergo carrier I have is the short waist band. This wasn't a problem pre-Charlie, but I unfortunately have an extra 15kg to lose post pregnancy, and there is no way I could wear the Ergo with the regular waist band. The thing is, even with the extra 15kg, I'm not humungus. I believe the newer models do have a longer waistband, so one doesn't need to purchase the "fat extender", as I like to call it. Thankfully, my sister had bought the "fat extender", so she passed it along to me. Perhaps I've deceived myself in how fat I've actually become, but I would have thought the regular waist band would suffice.

So here's the summary of the Heart2Heart Infant Insert:

The Good:

 - Lovely soft material
 - Super cosy in Winter
 - The seat feels supportive and appropriate for newborns

The Bad:

 - Completely useless for use in warmer climates
 - Takes practice to get bub's position right
 - Need a surface to lay bub on to put him in or out of the Ergo
 - I find the neck support is not fabulous unless I keep adjusting the Insert under the Ergo straps

To be honest, I can't wait until Charlie is big enough that we don't need to use it any more. It's necessary, and I want to be able to use my Ergo, but it's kind of a pain in the bum. So, on my arbitrary ratings scale, I give it a 5/10. And those five points are only because it allows me to use my Ergo.

No comments:

Post a Comment